Take a strongly built, Canadian made, proven offshore hull and spend several years and over $100,000 upgrading all major systems. You now have the beautiful Free Spirit, ready for any adventure.
A Spencer 44 centre cockpit is known for its traditional design, sea keeping ability and offshore capabilities. It’s been thoughtfully upgraded in all the right ways to make cruising and passage making safe and secure. Upgrades were completed by well established professional service providers to ensure the finest quality work.
The cutter rig is strong, capable and gives you lots of options for a well-balanced sail plan. The large cockpit, 6’6″ headroom and separate fore and aft cabins makes it a flexible and roomy cruiser.
A custom-made hard top dodger with offshore rated windows and full canvas enclosure, keeps the captain and crew warm, dry and secure in any weather.
The entire rig has been upgraded. From a new stainless steel compression post in 2013, new chain plates in 2015 and all new stainless-steel rigging replaced in 2016 by Ocean Rigging and Hydraulics in Vancouver, BC.
The entire electrical system was removed and re-wired in 2015 by Pacific Northwest Yacht Services, including all wiring, connections, and custom breaker panel.
The plumbing system was replaced in 2016 with cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) pipes and Sharkbite fittings to ensure you don’t have to worry about the comings and goings of your water and waste system.
The list of upgrades continues but the takeaway is simple. Free Spirit is a great boat that is capable of taking its new owners just about anywhere they want to go.
Please contact us to arrange a viewing.
Large interior with lots of headroom and massive amounts of storage make long passages or living aboard manageable. The separate cabins and heads make for great privacy and the large salon has plenty of room for family and friends.
- Very large interior layout. Forward v-berth cabin includes full head w/shower, bulkhead forward with chain locker access.
- Nicely positioned large aft cabin with a double bed to port, new 5″ foam mattress, loads of storage, also a private head w/shower
- The salon is located mid-ship with updated upholstered u-shaped settee to port and inline settee to starboard.
- Settees can be used as additional bunks
- Galley is to port, off the companion way
- New LED lighting throughout
- Victory quartz clock and Barometer
- Arched passageway beginning at the galley, allows access to freezer, lockers, engine room and the aft cabin
- The lockers and cabinetry are very superbly finished with solid teak and beautifully shaped to fit the space.
- Teak and holly sole
- Full Nav station to starboard; chart table tucks away for added space.
- Large engine room, with access doors between the aft and the main cabin with another access located under companionway steps
- Fresh water tanks – x1 located under forward v-berth, x1 under salon sole
- New Kuuma 6 gal hot water tank 2016
- Holding tanks – x1 tank forward, x1 aft
- NEW plumbing throughout (PEX pipe), includes water lines, fixtures, pump, taps and a new water heater
- Water maker (PUR Powersurvivor-35) under salon sole – serviced 2017
- Completely rewired with new Marine grade wire and connections by PNW Yacht Services
Compact and functional, just what you want for long passages, the galley is fully accessorized for cooking underway.
- Located to port with an off-shore U-shaped layout where you can strap yourself in while cooking, very well lit
- Force 10 propane 4-burner gimbaled stove w/oven
- Cabinets and storage with easy access everywhere
- Large deep S/S sink w/ hot & cold-water taps
- Exhaust fan behind stove
- Propane control and detection system with 2 sensors
- Blissfield Custom refrigeration system -completely serviced in 2015 – 12v and engine-mounted compressor; 9 cu ft freezer along starboard hull in walkway to the aft cabin & 5 cu ft fridge by navigation table to starboard
Hull and Deck
The centre cockpit is the focal point of Free Spirit. Lots of room, great visibility and the ability to adapt to the desires of the captain and crew. Go fully open for the most space. Add the captain’s chair for comfort or the custom teak table for a large dining area. Rigid tubular stainless steel lifelines make for secure handholds and added security when on deck.
- Full keel with cut away forefoot and keel hung rudder
- Solid fiberglass in the lower area, to the keel for strength and ease of through-hull installation. Higher up Airex is sandwiched between the fiberglass for maximum thermal insulation, sound barrier and stiffness
- Precast lead ballast for precise control of the weight and shape
- Last complete bottom paint May 2018 – Zincs replaced annually
- New custom-made Stainless-Steel compression post installed by Pro-Tec Yacht services in 2013- Support post takes downward loading from the mast and also supports deck – Now better than new!
- Custom hard dodger added in New Zealand in 1995
- New removable Sunbrella canvas enclosure with removable panels for the center cockpit 2015
- Custom fit teak cockpit table
- All standing rigging replaced with new 2016
- Updated S/S chain plates (2014)
- Running rigging recently replaced
- Substantial S/S tubing lifelines surround the whole deck
- Custom S/S safety bars at the base of the mast
- New deck flood lights on spreaders
- Custom offshore storm window covers
- Propane locker aft for 2 x 20lb cylinders
- Radar post mounted aft with GPS antenna & deck light; gimballed for offshore use
- Outboard lift off stern
- S/S boarding ladder and x1 clip on wood step
- Auto Helm offshore self-steering windvane
- Sunbrella aft wind skirting
- Winter cover tarp w/pvc frame
Sails and Rigging
Cutter rigged to ensure lots of options for a balanced sail plan underway. All aspects of the rigging have been upgraded starting in 2013 with a substantial stainless steel compression post for a strong foundation.
- Professionally Converted from Ketch to sloop withto a cutter rig in New Zealand in 1995
- Compression post replaced with stainless steel post in 2013
- 54 ft mast
- New standing rigging – professionally installed by Ocean Rigging and Hydraulics in Vancouver 2016
- ProFurl P-40 – Complete rebuild 2016
- 125% Macken furling genoa
- Main replaced in 2003 – “Storch” full batten with 3 reef points – inspected, reinforced and resewn, new track cars installed 2018 by UK Halsey Sails
- New lazy jack flaking system 2016
- Hank on Staysail
- Asymmetrical gennaker with sock and new tacker
- Spinnaker pole on mast track
- Running back stays, most halyards, sheets & reefing lines (New 2013)
- New Zealand Yachtspar telescopic Boom Vang
- Harken traveler aft of cockpit
- Gybe preventer system
- Anderson #46 2-speed self-tailing winch on mast for main halyard
- Anderson #28 2-speed self-tailing winch on mast for reefing lines
- 2 x Anderson #52 2-speed self-tailing primary winches in cockpit
- 2 x Lewmar #43 secondary winches in cockpit
- All sails taken to UK sails, inspected and serviced in 2018
Full compliment of electronics with an emphasis on safety, simplicity and durability.
- Lowrance HD S8 Chart Plotter/Fish finder & sonar w/integrated AIS (2015)
- SSB/HAM radio: ICOM IC -M802 w/Class E DSC – One touch e-mail button – KISS ground plane
- Antenna on insulated backstay (2016)
- Pactor Modem SCS-PTC_III USB with Pactor 4 licenseV – extending communication using a laptop while at sea
- ICOM m502 VHF Marine Transceiver w/command mic at helm & masthead antenna
- AIS receiver ICOM MXA 5000 integrated w/chart plotter & SSB radio
- Furuno 1831 Radar – 24 mile range
- Simrad Robertson AP11 hydraulic Autopilot
- Datamarine wind speed & direction
- Navman Knot log & Depth sounder
- Signet Depth sounder as backup
- JVC Stereo/cd player w/new speakers 2015
- USB connections at nav station
- All operating manuals